Disasters and emergencies—fires, floods, storms and other hazards — can happen at any time, in any location. Launched in 2004, National Preparedness Month is FEMA’s national annual preparedness outreach to remind us all of the need to be prepared for such emergencies, whether evacuating and sheltering.
- Set up your mobile devices to get Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEAs).
- Gather (and regularly update) your Disaster Supplies Kit of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency. You can download a suggested list here.
- Plan your evacuation route in advance.
- Learn the location of mass care shelters for your community, as well as how to shelter in place in your home.
- Create a family communication plan, to send and receive information during a disaster.